HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:28:23 +1000
Just thought of another useful reference in the Routledge One World
Archaeology series...

Torrence, R. and A. Clarke (2000). _The Archaeology of Difference;
Negotiating Cross-Cultural Engagements in Oceania_, Routledge, London.

This includes relevant examples from Micronesia, New Caledonia, Papua New
Guinea, New Zealand and Australia.

Alasdair Brooks

>Dear Collegues,
>
>I am faced with the task of teaching a general introductory lecture on the
>European Expansion. The course will not be restricted on the "Archaeology
>of the Modern World System" but will begin sometime in the 7th century BC
>with the Greek colonies in Egypt. However the main topic will of course be
>the expansion of Europeans after the 15th century and what effect this
>expansion had on indigenous socities.
>
>To my knowledge such a course - in lecture form - has not been taught at
>German universities yet and while there is a good bit of literature
>available on North America and partly on Africa, other regions  are hardly
>covered, e.g. S America, SE Asia, S and E Africa.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr. Alasdair Brooks
Department of Archaeology
La Trobe University