From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:00:24 +0000
   Johann Sebastian Bach(1685-1750)
        The Six Trio Sonatas

Trio Sonatas, BWV 525-530
Sony Essential Classics 60290
Recorded 1966
Reissued 1998
E. Power Biggs, Pedal Harpsichord
TT 74:16

The E.  Power Biggs recording of Bach's six Trio Sonatas needs little
introduction.  Recorded by Biggs in 1966, the performances have been
a staple of the CBS/Sony discography.  These six sonatas are usually
performed on organ, but they excellently accomodate the pedal harpsichord.
Generally thought of as a practice instrument for organists, the pedal
harpsichord becomes an ideal performing tool with E.  Power Biggs at the
helm.

If I had to get by with only one version of the Trio Sonatas, the Biggs
would easily get my vote.  These works do not possess the pathos, majesty,
and power of many of Bach's other organ compositions.  Frankly, no artist
except for Biggs illuminates for me the offsetting advantages that reside
in the Trio Sonatas.  These following features are the ones I most
appreciate:

1.  The Biggs readings are imbued with an exceptional blend of dignity and
grace.

2.  There's an abundance of joyful music in the six sonatas, and nobody
delivers a purer quality of it than Biggs.

3.  The detail is stunning throughout, as the three voices seem to
come from three different instruments.  At the same time, the unison
and comraderie of the three voices is complete.  The net result is
heightened interest and diversity.

4.  Pacing, intervals, and articulation are made to sound perfect
from Biggs.  The best recordings give a listener the feeling that the
performer has found the ideal presentation of the music, and Biggs is
in this category.

5.  Although the sound is over 30 years old, it is splendid and compares
well to contemporary recordings.  Unlike with many harpsichord recordings,
the Biggs is very easy on the ears.

Don's Conclusions: A great artist performs Bach on a highly distinctive
instrument.  Although the usual instrument of choice is the organ, the
Biggs performances are an essential acquisition for one's music library.
I personally find them the best versions of all which have been recorded.
Many of you have likely had a copy for decades.  For others, there's no
time like the present to indulge your appetite for one of the outstanding
Bach recordings of the 20th century.

Don Satz