From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 01:49:09 +0100
Mike Leghorn wrote:

>I'm sorry.  I still don't get it.  Just because I'm physically
>present at a concert performance of 4'33" doesn't necessarily mean I'm
>participating and sitting respectfully and truely listening to the music
>of silence.  I might be daydreaming or fidgetting, like so many people do,

Well, ok, then you're there daydreaming.  What exactly don't you get?
The sounds that you hear during those 4 minutes or so are what John Cage'
intended that you should hear.  The sounds you hear during the Franck
Sonata on the second half, if you're listening, are the things that Mr.
Franck wanted you to hear.  What's the difference if you're figetting?
I don't get what you don't get.

>even at concerts with real music.

I'll let that one go.:-)

>While I'm sitting in front of the TV and the sound is muted, I might be
>thinking or Beethoven's 3rd.

So does that make it a performance of Beethoven's third? I don't get it.

Dave Runnion
http://mp3.com/tramuntana