From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:15:39 EDT
Steve Schwartz writes that, in his experience, live performances are rare
of ...

>...Prokofiev, Copland, Vaughan Williams, Britten, Schubert (with the
>exception of Die Winterreise and the Symphony No.  9), surprisingly
>enough Haydn (very rare, in my experience).

Copland's not often heard, it's true, but all the rest are going fare in
the big houses in Central Europe.  Britten used to be a regular dish in
Munich when Colin Davis was still conducting here; now he's become rarer.
Stravinsky, Prokoviev, Shostakovich and Russian opera are no rarity here,
or in Berlin, or in Hamburg,or in Vienna, or in Zurich.  The German
classical canon is a stand-by of symphonic performances in the large
classical music auditoira in Italy.

Denis Fodor