From:
"Norman M. Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:57:16 -0400
I've seen reference made to the Gilels recording of this piece but can't
seem to find it anywhere.  Could someone kindly provide a label and catalog
number.  The recordings of the Eroica variations which I presently remember
owning are by Glenn Gould on Sony, and Bernard Roberts for Nimbus.  Gould's
interpretations are usually seem "far out" but I seem to remember his
Eroica variations as being on the tame side.  I most always prefer the
type of recorded sound Columbia afforded Gould in the solo repertoire,
humming and "nuttiness" included so I often find myself going back to his
recordings.  I do have to hear a recording *very* clearly before being able
to express any personal preference for one interpretation vs. another.

Norman Schwartz

[The recording referred to is probably Deutsche Grammophon 423136-2,
 long out of print, that also included Piano Sonatas #7 & 18 and was
 part of Gilels unfinished Beethoven cycle.  However, DG has re-released
 this material as part of its Complete Beethoven Edition (Vol.  6, Piano
 Works, 8 CDs), which can be found here:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001GZ9/classicalnetA/

 -Dave]