From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:33:13 -0400
Mullenger at [log in to unmask] wrote:

>MusicWeb CD reviews for Saturday June 9th
>

>An All-British weekend highlighted by the important release of the John
>Veale Violin Concerto
>

>John VEALE Violin Concerto Benjamin BRITTEN Violin Concerto.  Lydia
>Mordkovitch/BBC Symphony Orchestra/Richard Hickox rec 1999? (DDD)CHANDOS
>CHAN 9910 [69.57] [DW]
>
>Apart from the Britten, beautifully played and executed though it is, this
>is the 'disc of the year' It sets a standard of sound quality and
>performance that will hardly be beaten.

I have never heard a note of John Veale's music and in fact I hever heard
of him before reading the review.  I have no opinions about his violin
concerto, but I do find the review and the accompanying biographical note
to be deplorable examples of the " raise the stature of A by trashing B "
school of criticism.  In this case the role of B is taken by Britten and
Elgar.  Britten, it turns out made many mistakes in writing his violin
concerto (in contrast to Veale's perfect craftsmanship.) Elgar, it turns
out, is guilty (along with Parry) of letting self pity into his music.
As a long time admirer of Elgar I have detected a deep well of emotion in
Elgar's large scale works, but my self pity meter registers a null reading.
If Parry shares anything at all with Elgar, I had better start listening to
Parry's music.

Strong opinions are one thing, invective quite another.  Veale' Concerto is
now available in what everyone agrees is an excellent performance.  Let it
make its own way in the world.

Bernard Chasan