HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
david petts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:15:31 +0000
Having just (re)joined HJistarch I have been having a quick look at recent
mailings to see what I;ve been missing!

Pre-fabricated buildings: Not a lot to add beyond the fact that I am currently
involved in setting up a architectural recording project/conservation project
on a colonial hillstation in India, so I'll keep the list informed of anything
we come up with.

Global Approaches:
Very little archaeological work has been done on India- though there is a lot
of historical stuff- best introduction can be found in the excellent Oxfod
Histories of the British Empire.
- a few possibly useful refs are below:

International Journal of Nautical Archaeology and Underwater Exploration 19
(1990)- special issue on East India Company

Chaudhuri, K. N., 1978. The trading world of Asia and the English East India
Company, 1660-1760 Cambridge

Chaudhuri, K. N., 1985. Trade and civilization in the Indian Ocean : an
economic history from the rise of Islam to 1750 Cambridge

Evans, C., 1990. "‘Power on silt’: towards an archaeology of the East India
Company" Antiquity 64 643-61

Reid, A., 1990. ‘The system of trade and shipping in maritime South and
Southeast Asia, and the effects of the development of the Cape route to
Europe’ in: H. Pohl (ed.) The European Discovery of the World and its Economic
Effects on Pre-Industrial Society, 1500-1800. Papers of the 10th International
Economic History Congress. Vierteljahrsschrift für Sozial- und
Wirtschaftsgeschichte, Beiheft 89. Franz Steiner, 73-96.

If anyone want further references on India let me know

cheers
david

Totalise - the Users ISP
To become a member and a shareholder