HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
William White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 07:50:47 -0700
R. Douglas wrote in part:

"The low-key approach to the incident seemed (in my opinion) to stem from
political motives...nobody wanted to make a big
deal about the old bones because somebody might get in trouble over it.  I
can't really say that I blame them.  I decided not to pursue finding out
anything more about the case.

Of course, I went back to look at the scene of the crime.  You guessed
it...more bone was visible in the same area.  This time, I reacted more
anthropologically than archaeologically.  I didn't bother to report it."

Desert land surrounding Las Vegas has always been a great place to dispose
of human bodies.  While conducting a power line inventory, the crew and I
came across a "boot hill" of sorts on isolated National Park Service
property.  The find included 14 separate cremated human remains with metal
identification tags, but no teeth.  We identified 5 additional individuals
along the access road leading to the site.  The discovery was recorded as an
archaeological site and reported to NPS.  We were told that the rangers
would investigate the matter but nothing ever became of it and is considered
a dead issue (no pun intended).
Political motives for the issue position, possibly.  Moral of the story?  If
you are going to be cremated, be sure to have a relative collect the ashes
or you too could end up dumped in the desert.......