HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:05:50 -0500
Hello everyone.  I'm passing along a great job opportunity to this
listserve.  This job is with Alabama's state archaeologist.  I will
occasionally be working with this person, so I am hoping that an
archaeologist whose first love is Historical Archaeology will be hired.
(after all this is the "true light" <grin>) .   Its an exciting time to be
part of our organization.  Many things are being built up from scratch, so
you if like the idea of making a difference in a state's archaeology, this
may be the job for you!  The job is based in Montgomery Alabama.  See the
job description below.

Linda Derry, Director
Old Cahawba - AHC
719 Tremont St.
Selma, AL 36701 - 5446
ph. 334/875-2529 / email: [log in to unmask]

Employment Opportunity with the
Alabama Historical Commission

Title: Archaeologist, Senior
Pay grade: 73 ($29,848 – $45,253)
Minimum qualifications:  Graduation from a four-year college or university
with a Master’s degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, History, or American
Studies with a specialization in archaeology.  Some experience in
archaeological survey or excavation.

        This is a position is immediately available in the Historic Preservation
Division of the Alabama Historical Commission (AHC).  The AHC is also the
State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) for Alabama.  The individual
filling this position will be part of the Archaeology Program and is
supervised by the State Archaeologist.  Examples of work that may be
performed by an individual in this position are,
1.      Plans and executes archaeological surveys and excavations at the 18
historic and prehistoric sites managed by the AHC.
2.      Serves as the director of the archaeological lab.
3.      Responds to emergency archaeological situations throughout the state,
both terrestrial and maritime.
4.      Executes grants and contracts for archaeological work within the state.
Oversees the progress and evaluates the results of contracts and grants.
5.      Reviews some archaeological reports generated by the 106 process of the
National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 (as amended through 1992).  106
review is not the primary responsibility of the person in this position.
6.      Assists the State Archaeologist in the development and implementation of
archaeological research, management and education plans for state-owned
prehistoric and historic sites.
7.      Prepares nominations of archaeological sites to the National Register of
Historic Places.
8.      Serves as a liaison to Native American groups.

We are looking for a motivated and energetic individual with field and
analytical experience.  Please indicate any experience in Historical
Archaeology.  Potential employees should be able to travel and stay in the
field for substantial periods.  If you are interested in a challenging job
in a dynamic state agency please forward a letter of application, a detailed
Curricula Vitae or Resume, and three letters of recommendation by July 15,
2001 to:

                Thomas O. Maher, Ph.D., RPA
                State Archaeologist
                Alabama Historical Commission