HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Imogene Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:44:42 -0700
>>Dave Dyson and I were involved in the removal and
reconstruction of a mounatin cabin that had walls of 2 rooms covered
w/newspaper and magazine pages used for insulation, decoration and
separation of living areas. Our problem is we haven't been able to find
much written on the subject.<<

You should get in touch with Phil Hobler <[log in to unmask]> or Ying-Ying Chen
<[log in to unmask]> at Simon Fraser University.  During the excavation of the
foundation and documentation of the Chee Kung Tong building in Barkerville,
BC, layer-upon-layer of newspapers and magazines were peeled back from the
walls.  As you note, they were used as insulation and decoration.  I don't
think any formal analysis has yet been done, but the range of publications
available is phenomenal--at least not what I would have expected in a
goldrush town!