HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James L Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:21:28 -0500
The swastika was considered a good luck symbol prior to the rise of Nazi
Germany and is frequently seen on U.S. dinnerware of the 1910-1930 period,
in association with four-leaf clovers, horseshoes, etc.  I once found a
Sebring Pottery plate dated 1927 or thereabouts labeled "Hitler's personal
china" and priced accordingly.

Jim Murphy
Ohio State University
1858 Neil Avenue Mall