HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"R. Paul Hampson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 14:45:31 -0700
On 22 May 01, at 14:26, sarah cowie wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> A colleague of mine has excavated some ceramic roofing
> tiles (barrel tiles) from two early 20th century sites
> in Riverside County, California.  Both sites are
> located near a town known historically as a center for
> small ceramic industries owned by Mexican-Americans.
>
> Excavators found two ceramic kilns and waster tiles at
> one site, and some tiles have an impressed mark
> reading "CASA BLANCA CORONA".
>
> A large dump/waster pile was excavated at the second
> site; tiles from that location are impressed marks
> reading "D.J.C.P.",   "CASA BLANCA CORONA",   and "LA
> OLLA TILE CORONA".  The latter mark is within a
> triangle.
>
> Does anyone have any information on these marks?
> Anyone found them at other locations?  Is there any
> chance of finding a roof tile makers mark guide?
>
> Please reply to me off list if you have specific
> information on these marks.

Sarah-

Try the following, esp. the first one:

1995 The Mexican Potters of Prado.  Foster, et. al, U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers, Los Angeles District.  Statistical Research
Technical Series No. 57  [P. O. Box 31865, Tucson, AZ  85751].

1987 Historical and Archaeological Evaluation:  Rincon Townsite
and Environs.  Greenwood, et. al, Greenwood and Associates,
Pacific Palisades, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Los Angeles
District.

1987  The Rincon Taownsite:  Cultural Resource INvestigation.
Greenwood and Foster, Greenwood and Associates, Pacific
Palisades, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Los Angeles District.

Paul