HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Northern Cas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 12:41:18 +0100
Thanks to Denis for his reply. The TWs we are after are the ones on the
front, facing smoker, of bowl sometimes in a frame, sometimes with cross
hatched hearts on side. In the North East of England these have been found
with the maker's names in full along the stem - both William Tennant and
Patrick McKenna, which was when we realised it wasn't the maker's initials
(necessarily). I understand that one idea is that the TW stands for 'The
Workman'. We were interested in how far these pipes travel - though if we
can't always be sure of the maker I don't suppose we can claim them for
North East enterprise!

We have a miniature made from an original mould.

Jenny