HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 12:46:02 +1000
John

Perhaps a bit off the mark but excavations at the Lilyvale site in the Rocks area of Sydney identified what would be considered 'anomalous' artefacts such as a small Egyptian Upshabti figure that could reasonably be explained as seafarer souvenirs.  In the same vein there are many accounts of personal collections of native artefacts for eventual sale being built up through trade by Cook's, Bligh's [and presumably everyone else's] crews in the Pacific.

Narrative accounts of literate young men who went off to sea may also be a good source.  these should be well catalogued by a state or university library search.

Denis

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
Denis Gojak
Heritage Asset Manager
NSW Department of Urban Affairs and Planning
2-10 Wentworth Street
Parramatta NSW 2150
PO Box 404 Parramatta 2124
Ph:    +61 2 9895 7940
Fax:   +61 2 9895 7946
Email: [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/04 3:07 pm >>>
I am an archaeology student researching the personal possessions of the
crews (as distinct from officers) of ships in the historical period.
I started by looking for material from nineteenth century ocean going
ships wrecked around Australia but have had to broaden the catchment
fields in the search for non-narrative sources.
It would be greatly appreciated if anybody could point me to research
and/or provenienced assemblages of sailors artefacts.

John Forrest
Honours Candidate in Maritime Archaeology
Flinders University of South Australia