HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John R Hyett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 14:50:33 +1000
The idea of not finding any occupation debris on an earthern floor makes a
lot of sense to me. Back in the 1960s I worked prospecting for alluvial tin
on the tinfields of north Queensland (Australia) The fields were scattered
with old huts made of bush timber and corrugated iron with bare earth
floors. When occupied these floors were swept every day so all dust, debris
and hiding places for poisoness insects and reptiles went straight out the
door and to one side or other of the path. All other rubbish such as empty
tins and bottles were dumped at a place away from the hut within throwing
distance. On abandoning the hut to move to another area some rubbish may
have been left within the hut but if it was occupied again the next person
would have to clean it back to the bare earth. A sprinkle of water and a
good sweep kept the surface hard and clean and all small debris was swept
away and would, I imagine, give a pattern much as Leslie describes it.
John