HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew Tomaso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 13:52:19 -0400
Dear Fellow ListMembers

Please accept my apologies for cross-listing this announcement.

For the first time, this year, Montclair State University's Center for
Archaeological Studies will be offering two field school alternatives.  I
will be offering our broad-based intensive field school in New Jersey, and
Stan Walling will be offering a four week course of study in Belize,
Central America focusing on Maya settlement and domestic
archaeology.  Content and cost differences are spelled out in our updated
web pages.  Those interested in the Belize field school should contact Dr.
Stanley L. Walling at [log in to unmask]

Our field school web pages, beginning with
http://www.chss.montclair.edu/archaeology/fldschl.htm
contain updated information concerning our 2001 research plans.  In
addition to general information about our field school , you will find
printable and downloadable versions of most of our admission and
application materials.

For detailed information on the admission procedure click below
http://www.chss.montclair.edu/archaeology/fsadmit.htm
Note that the only application not available on the web is the Summer
Session Visiting Student Application, available in the Summer Session
Schedule of Courses.  This booklet can be requested  by calling the Summer
Session Offices at 973-655-4352 and giving them your mailing address.  Be
advised that the Summer Session booklet is not printed and mailed until
March. Only students taking the field school for credit need to complete
the visiting student form.

I recommend that you visit our field school page, and the pages linked to
it before you read the remainder of this message.

THE FIELD SCHOOL AT FELTVILLE / GLENSIDE PARK

Our New Jersey field school, while focused on problem oriented academic
research, maintains a stronger commitment to education than any other we
are aware of.  Our Principal Staff, consisting of myself (Director of the
Feltville Archaeology Project and Field School Director), Stanley L.
Walling (Associate Director), and Dr. Richard F. Veit (Associate Director)
are all professional archaeologists and educators working at accredited
academic institutions.  Richard and I also have about 11 years a piece of
experience in contract archaeology.  Our assistants (regular field school
staff) consist of professional contract archaeologists, adjunct professors
and advanced graduate students from other Universities - all of whom have
at least 1 year of previous experience on our field school and several
years of professional experience elsewhere, as well as teaching
experience.  In addition to a wide range of field experiences, we provide
occasional informal lunchtime lectures on a variety of subjects ranging
from geoarchaeology to architectural history to forensics, etc.

We intend to expand our field operation in several interesting directions
next year.  The following information is from last year's field research
design, but reflects some of the projects we will be involved in this
year.   Students will have an opportunity to learn about and participate in
all of the following:

1.      Intensive transit mapping, excavation and geoarchaeology in a
recently discovered domestic area consisting of a partially filled
foundation and cellar hole which appears to date to the late 18 to early
19th centuries.  The associated structure was apparently demolished between
1845 and 1865, and, in 1845, belonged to a Mrs. Raddin, the mother of David
Felt's coach driver.   Based on a brief survey and testing operation
conducted last year, this location is loaded with 18th and 19th century
materials and has some of the most complex stratigraphy and earliest
components we have yet seen at Feltville.

2.      Test excavations in the core of the community.  The central portion
of Feltville, where most of the remaining 19th century structures are
located, functioned as a resort community during the late 19th century,
after the Felt occupation.  Based on the excavation of a privy and portions
of the back yard of two cottages located at the western margins of the
community last year we were able to hypothesize that there was rigid
spatial class segregation in the community, even when the community was
functioning as a resort.  This hypothesis will be elaborated or tested in
2000 with test excavations in what we believe to have been the middle class
section.  These excavations may also include a privy, if found.

3.      Ground reconnaissance survey will focus on a poorly understood area
in the south and east of the Historic District, which is known to have been
particularly important for the 18th century economy of the area.  This
aspect of our work gives students a chance to document, first-hand new
discoveries which, as they have done in the past, may strongly influence
the direction of our research in years to come.

Other, less intensive projects may arise in the course of the four week
field season, but are less easy to predict at present.

Oh yes, it's always a heck of a lot of fun!

~Matt

Matthew S. Tomaso
Director, Feltville Archaeology Project
Coordinator, CFAS