HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
erik phaneuf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:22:09 -0400
Hi to all!

I am procuring a particular type of ceramic and hope that some of you out
there can help me find some equivalence to the one I found.  It should be
found in site dating from 1600 up to the 18th century.  I hope to find some
example dating from the 17th century mostly.  It should be more common where
Portuguese or Spanish were present.  The ceramic is of common earthenware
type with reddish brown coloured paste.  The particularity of this ceramic
is the presence of volcanic stone found inside the paste.  The volcanic
stone are also reddish brown in colour and can be found up to one centimetre
in size for very large bowl-like recipient.

My question is, is there any known site with this type of inclusion inside
common earthenware paste, and if so what would be the origin of such ceramic
recipients.

Thank you all for your help

Erik Phaneuf