HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 04:23:49 -0400
In a message dated 4/20/01 3:39:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Save
 two ..let the rest go. >>

This is not in the spirit of the National Historic Preservation Act. It is my
opinion that we should not blanket the nation with a senseless clichet to
destroy all quonset huts simply because Congress ordered them destroyed.
Just as we should study the context of prehistoric sites, we need to consider
the context of quonset huts in different bases across America. Some groupings
of buildings merit preservation for historical associations, events that
happened within, for representative landscapes, and for people who lived
there. We dont need to save all, but some would be in keeping. More, just
like any other building with asbestos or lead paint, we should include haz
mat and fireproofing abatement to render those buildings safe.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.