HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Pickard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:15:03 -0400
LOCKHART BILL wrote:

>         Can anyone recommend any good books/articles on icemaking and
> refrigeration?
> -----------------

I'm not sure this will be of value to you but Modern Machinery of April 1898
carried an article called "A beginner's Experience in Ice Making."  It is one
of the funniest pieces I have ever come across: "Joe was off on an errand,
and I got to trying the different valves around the upper part of the
machine, and finding they were all closed, concluded it would do harm to open
a small valve, right on top of the cylinder head, and that was the beginning
of my acquaintance with anhydrous ammonia, and I can't say that the odor has
improved any with more familiarity.  How I got down I don't know to this day,
but when I discovered where I was at, I was out in the yard, flat on my back,
and Joe was playing the hose on me."

It actually contains a great deal of useful info about the ice making
technology and the end of the article states "to be continued."  I have never
tracked down the rest of the series. If you are interested I could copy and
send to you. A search in either the Engineering Index or the Industrial Arts
Index should turn up some stuff if you are seeking vintage info.

Good luck,

--
Paul Pickard
Masters Candidate