HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Brian Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:55:09 -0500
During my (cultural) fieldwork in Zambia (southern central Africa), I
initially
stayed at the Catholic girls' secondary school where my (ex-) wife was
teaching.
While cycling around the area, showing my face, a number of villagers
sent their greetings to "the Indian teacher there who'd advised them on
where to sink wells."  (Something like that.)

I knew the fellow, a Roman Catholic from Kerala.  He taught math; his wife
taught English.  He didn't know the word "dowsing", but admitted to finding
water for a number of village wells using the Christian religious medal
that
he wore around his neck.  He just swung the medal back and forth, and
it would be drawn to the water underground -- something like magnetism.
It wasn't a business; he did it for free.  It involved no special powers or
skills; lots of folks in Kerala do this.  He was surprised (and flattered)
by
my interest.

So it seems that Asian Indians do dowsing too.

Brian Siegel