HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:56:31 -0400
     Gaye:

     You might take a look at my dissertation. I built representative
     assemblages for family households, bachelor male households, saloons,
     brothels, restaurants, hotels and the military, then estimated the
     relative contributions of each type of activity to a city trash dump.
     The model was based on collections from 1880-1920.

     Citation:

     Catherine Holder Blee, 1991 Sorting Functionally-Mixed Artifact
     Assemblages with Multiple Regression: A Comparative Study in Historical
     Archeology. PhD dissertation, University of Colorado, Boulder. Available
     through University Microfilms, Inc.

     The hotel/restaurant assemblage might be similar to your teahouse. While
     the method requires a fairly rigourous sampling regimen, you might get
     some ideas that could help you out.