HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:41:25 -0600
Hello Dane:)

We have such a plantation cemetery here in Nashville known historically as
Devon Farm and located on the historic Natchez Trace.  It was the original
plantation of the Harding Family before they built BelleMeade stud closer to
town up the trace.  The plantation also has an interesting story that goes
with it.  Apparently one of the planter's married a barren wife and imported
an enslaved African-American woman from Virginia with which he had a series
of children. Upon his death he left half his plantation to the slave woman
and half to the widow, the slave selling her half back to the widow and
moving her family to Ohio to better their lives. It is reputedly the only
mixed plantation cemetery in the Mid-Tenn region.

Dan Allen <[log in to unmask]>