HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:35:17 +0000
Sean-  Your point is a good one.  Hamburger Tropfen could simply relate to a
drug made in Hamburg, Germany, as you suggest, and not refer to meat at all.
This seems particularly reasonable since Wilson and Wilson ("19th Century
Medicine in Glass," 1971) state that Koenig was from Hamburg and produced
another proprietary medicine that he called "Hamburger Brust Thee," a breast
tea. There was also a medicinal called "Hamburg Drops" advertised in 1895 (Ref.
Joseph Baldwin, "A Collector's Guide to Patent and Proprietary Medicine Bottles
of the Nineteenth Century," Thomas Nelson, Inc., Nashville and New York, p.
220). My discussion of beef teas and extracts may have been unrelated to
Koenig's Hamburger Tropfen.

Allen