HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sarah Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:48:24 -0700
Thanks for the responses so far.  My landlord happens
to be a geologist, when I take the rent over I'll ask
him!

I don't think it's a natural layer.  At the first site
we found a single 20 cm layer of lime under 40 cm of
brick rubble, approx 60 cmbs.  There were two other
units within a 3 m radius, neither displayed this
layer.  The site is an early nineteenth century
seminary where we know they made their own bricks and
mortar on site.  In the second site I mentioned, the
layer was cut off by a pipe trench, so I'm not sure
about the boundaries.  There was no brick rubble at
the second site, just 20 cm of mottled silt clay.  I
have looked up lime kilns and it is nothing that
substantial, just a 20 cm thick layer of lime granules
with no artifacts or other materials included in the
stratum.

Does anyone have experience with mortar processing
sites?  I hadn't considered a floor.  The layer was
not very level, giving different profiles for each
wall.  Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Sarah