HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:09:37 -0400
Back in the 1970's a candy manufacturer used to sell minature ones. At least
an anthropoogist from the "Police Accelerate" program showed me one (an
anthropology course for police gaining their college degree in Suffolk
County, NY)  Probably from the "horror" film genre, like what the Pinewoods
Studio is famous for, a new "Pinewood West" studio on the East End of Long
Island,. Apparently, among the Montauk natives the name Pharoah was used a
bit. Early explorers related that the summer heat and the sand dunes
reminded them of Arabia, perhaps where the name came from. The Montauk Club
in Brooklyn, a important landmark built in the style of Venice architecture,
depicts the contact between natives and Europeans in terracotta relief in
the "entablature". Governor McKinley was honored there shortly before
becoming President. A beautiful wooden sculpture of a banjo player is in its
stairway, perhaps depicting an African-American like William Sydney Mount's
depiction of a banjo player on canvas.