HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
basedow/wyrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:42:01 -0400
in turkey we imported shipping containers solely to use them as
superior, securable, weather-proof storage housing for finds from the
troy excavations - they were never actually used to ship anything. one
suspects something similar in afghanistan. so re-use is not always the
correct interpretation. similarly, bronze age populations in parts of
turkey could be buried in large storage vessels called pithoi, which
were the shipping containers of their day. studies have shown that most
of these were not re-used, but purpose built for burial. typologically
based on shape and wear the pithoi used for shipping and/or
purpose-built for burial are indisinguishable.

thus on lesser evidence the re-use of shipping timbers (except in cases
of wreck salvage?) and, especially, bricks for ballast (why do this?
unlike pig iron the material and technology to make bricks has been
easily accessible for millenia - they simply are not a major long
distance trade item) might well be subject to overinterpretation and
myth-production in the archaeological-historical record, as Pat
suggested in one of the earlier emails in this thread.

maureen basedow, Ph.d
greensboro, nc