HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:51:06 +0000
Beerput is indeed used by the Dutch/Flemish for what we would call a privy
or in England a cesspit. There are large numbers of post-medieval urban
beerputten compared to very few in England. This and the very rich urban
culture means that the Dutch are awash with nice closed groups of finds
while this side of the Channel much of pot is just residual (ie. mixed).

paul courtney
leicester
UK