HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:44:50 +0000
Splintered and oblivious to theory- yes but British post-medieval
archaeology has never been especially parochial - a lot less I would say
than the US and certainly many Continental countries. SPMA has had
conferences in Holland and Belgium for example, and even had an almost
forgotten  session at SHA long before the 1997 joint meeting. I can think of
a long list of the over 60s who studied forts, vernacular buildings,
ceramics, and other things on the Continent. It is difficult to go anywhere
where Geoff Egan hasn't visited or David Barker or David Gaimster are not
known. I have been to isolated little museums on the Continent where people
still ask after Ken Barton or John Hurst. There is more contact now with the
US though one reason is the number of middle aged archies in Britain who
haven't got children and cheaper airfares. Also the Americans produce more
books- you couldn't fill a  shelf in the 70s now I have 3 large bookcases
full plus several heaps and I have long stopped buying everything that came
out. The acceptance in academia is new and exciting but one must give due to
those who did international work without the benefit of grants and academic
support. Yes we could do more but people need to do what ken barton did and
study lanuages at night school. However, it is expensive to keep up with
international scholarship. I was also nearly divorced on my honeymoon when I
emerged from a bookshop in Groningen with an enormous copy of Jacob de
Gheyn's exercise of arms book ( we had no car I should add).

paul courtney
leicester, UK