HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 17:12:22 -0800
Mr.Emery..i have run into this guy in the past on a salvage dig on an doomed
underground railroad house..in fact before we had access to the location the
guy had already tresspassed on the property to dig for bottles...he and his
partner are well known in southeast michigan on the resale bottle market..so
their goals are self  centered for profit and to expand a personal
collection..i am a amature archaeologist and i do not put up with this type
of behavior on any site that i work on....the site of the house...at one
time this was one of the original locations for one of the first log cabins
in the oakland county area..followed by other constuction's later on at the
site..the house was saved and moved and undergoing preservation...we had a 2
week window to recover artifacts related to the site...even with that short
amount of time..over 800 seperate artifacts were recovered and recorded..i
approached the State Archaeologist office in Lansing on the matter and the
only thing i could do is get it listed as a Registered Archaeology
site...the artifacts that granted this..were in fact lithic materials that
were recovered..it hurt to know that this site was going to be destroyed in
the name of greed..a vacant strip building now stands in the location...win
some.. lose some...what we recovered was a tip of the iceberg and to have to
walk away from the history and knowledge that we were gaining..in a
word...SUCKED!!!..i would not recommend to anybody to use this guy...for if
a site location would be released to him...you would show up on day one to
start working the site..and find the tomb empty....i tried to work with
these guys...one time......they dug an empty privy and decided that sifting
and recording were too much work and moved on...i was with them the whole
time they dug the privy as a precaution.....which took me away from over
seeing the real archaeology work..it is a shame that people allow these type
of bottle hunters on their property..so i can tell you..that they have no
interest in real Archaeology and most likley never will..but they do have a
keen skill in sniffing out privies...years of practical knowledge..i will
never work with people like that again..you get more dedicated help and
local pride from soliciting volunteers from the townspeople and local
historical groups... so there is no need to invite the fox to the hen
house..this spring there will be a bottle show..i will attend this to get
some recon info on where the items are coming from..and try and talk with
the sellers on the need for the use of real Archaeological Method...im
afraid i would have better luck..teaching ground hogs.
Kris R Oswald
Historical Reaserch Services