HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Giacobbe, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:49:59 -0700
Hi again:

my only point was to mention that if we as a profession set some lower
boundaries of training and self-certification beyond which one could not
call himself an archaeologist, we could contact folks (such as newspapers,
land managers, etc) and state that this guy is not a professional
archaeologist.

Along the lines that a guy who makes homebrew in his garage does not qualify
to call himself a professional chemist. They (the chemists, that is, not the
homebrewers) have a legitimate and universally recognized system of
certification, while, sadly, too many of us cowboy archaeologists fight
tooth and nail to resist any such standardization...

but that's another argument...

John

John A. Giacobbe, RPA
Archaeology & Environmental Science
Stantec Consulting, Inc.,
8211 South 48th St., Phoenix, AZ  85044-5355, USA
Voice: (602)438-2200 - Fax: (602)431-9562
email: [log in to unmask]
http://home.mindspring.com/~cerci1/index.html