HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kris Farmen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:31:31 -0800
Hello Histarchers:

With respect to chamber pot emptying let me first say that, being of the
gentlemanly persuasion, I'm very glad I don't live in seventeenth
century Europe.  I wonder if that's why broad-brimmed felt hats came
into vogue. . .

Anyway, I've got a problem for any Alaska aviation history buffs on the
list.  I'm trying to find confirmation on whether or not the first fatal
plane crash in Alaska happened at Livengood.  I've talked to some AK
aviation historians, and they all seem fairly certain--although never
100% sure--that said crash did happen at Livengood.  One of them even
gave me what he thought was the name of the pilot--Ed Young.  I've
looked through a few books on AK aviation history, but none of them seem
to mention this rather significant event; the death of Ben Eielson seems
to get all the press.  I'm at my wits' end here.  Can anybody confirm
this information, either in the positive or negative?  And give me some
book or article to reference it to?