HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Geoff Carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:44:14 -0500
for what it's worth, i helped excavate a roman harbour site at
ijmuiden, west of amsterdam in 1989 - we had lots of barrels sunk into
the ground, used as wells - when they silted up they were used as
coffins for roman soldiers (including armour) -
could any of these things have been used to keep things cool somehow?