HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:45:18 -0400
To all who offered ansers to my cellar door query:
            Thank you for your time and effort.  You are a great
resource.  Bulkhead appears to be the most accurate term - Bilco is a
brand name of a company that makes cellar  doors, including the
bulkhead.  What surprises me is the transposition from the nautical
meaning "wall" - as in " shoved against the bulkhead" to the building
trades term "outside cellar door laid at an angle to the house wall".
Who can figure?  Anyway, thanks for supplying me with the proper term.
JRW