From:
Didrik Schiele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 13:43:30 +0200
Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

>Steve Schwartz wrote:
>
>>Probably not.  After all, many anti-Semitic composers are played in Israel
>>without such acting out.  In fact, if you were to exclude anti-Semitic
>>composers from your listening, you'd have very little left from the 18th
>>and 19th centuries (and probably the first half of the 20th).
>
>So what? This issue is not about other anti Semitic composers..  This was
>about Wagner.

I don't understand the arguing here.  The issue is about Wagner BECAUSE he
is traditionally an anti-semitic composer, or what?

>The link to the Nazi's and Wagner's descendants support of the Nazi's
>and Nazi nationalism of music is I think the key difference.  Obviously
>for many of the Israelis, they feel the same way.  They understand this
>distinction and it is neither hypocritical or unreasonable in my opinion.

I don't understand how Wagner could be held responsible for what his
descendants did 50 years later.  If you commit a crime, shall we sue your
grand-pa? Besides Winnifred was a Chamberlain and not a Wagner....

>This process is something the Israeli music community and concert
>goers have to sort out themselves.

Sure!....And the nazis thought that there process of finding the final
solution was something that their community had to sort out itself....

Didrik Schiele