From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 23:16:30 -0700
Glenn Miller comments on my moment of bliss at an MTT Beethoven No. 3:

>Again, I have often wondered how one can be sure that being moved by a
>performance has more to do with the "players" playing the music just right
>than it does to our capacity at any given time to respond and be touched
>by it.  What I mean is this:  Can you be sure that you did not go into the
>Zone while listening but at another time might have not thought much of the
>same performance i.e., 2 movement-Beethoven 3rd symphony? Just Wondering?

It's a combination plus luck:  1.  You have to be prepared to receive
the Moment by previous exposure to the music, 2.  The performance must
be something special, 3.  There is a gift handed down, a kind of secular
blessing.  (For some - Herbert Blomstedt and Helmuth Rillings, to my
knowledge - religious and secular merge.) It may sound complicated, but
we have all experienced it.

Janos Gereben/SF, CA