HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Daniel H. Weiskotten" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:51:23 -0500
A few years ago our local Public Library (Cazenovia) made an addition to
the back of their building (essentially a whole new building) and in the
construction the workmen gouged out most of a quite large privy and
scattered the contents far and wide.  I suspect they took the good stuff.
Despite being more than interested in the archaeology of the site no one
called me that construction had even begun and a week or so later one of
the neighbors mentioned that he was surprised to see that I wasn't involved
and wondered what was up?  I rushed to the scene and found about 1/3 of the
privy still intact.  I scavanged what I could from the edges of the trench
and dutifully left what appeared to be intact deposits for future
generations to discover (my mistake as they changed the plans and a week
later it was chomped out for the base of the elevator).

The stuff that came out of there was incredible (and still awaits inventory
and analysis).  Creamwares, pearlwares, engine turned, combed, local made
redwares, crocks, jugs, bottles, wine glasses, tumblers, you name it - all
fragmented of course.  There were even skulls of large birds, sea shells,
egg shells, and other evidence of some sort of a natural history collection.

Well, having done the research on the house and the occupant several years
ago I was not really surprised to find such things (he was a curiosity
seeker, merchant, well to do and visited the south for his health), but I
didn't expect to find it all in the privy.  The owner had died of Scarlet
Fever in 1853 and the house sat vacant until 1858 when his son-in-law took
over things and did a total make-over of the house.

Clearly they tossed all the stuff in the 1853-1858 period for several
reasons: contamination by Scarlet Fever, change of household, desire for
new items (most of this stuff dated to the 1820s and 1830s), lack of
interest in the collection of curiosities, etc.  I hope to some day do the
analysis on the material ...

        Dan W.