HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"April M. Beisaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 06:59:57 -0700
Tim,

I consulted with a geologist before conducting my soil
pH analyses in NY. The method I used consisted of
testing the soil samples in the lab, the same day the
soil was excavated (as moisture and temperature of
soil influence the pH). Analysis was done using an
Omega PHH-50 pH meter using a 50ml/50ml solution of
soil and distilled water.

Make sure you first record the temperature pH of the
water (don't assume it is 7, this gives you a baseline
of the pH meter). Then mix the soil and water, let the
soil settle a bit (so as not to scratch the electrode)
insert the electrode and wait for the reading to
stabilize.

If your soil samples have sat for a long period of
time, the pH readings will be problematic however you
should be able to test for variations between site
soils with some confidence. If there is any way to
obtain fresh samples, that would be best.

-April
April M. Beisaw, RPA
Zooarchaeology and Taphonomy Consulting
http://www.taphonomy.com