From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:48:08 -0400
The bees move the brood nest down in the boxes through the summer, which
is what you saw the first year. They fill the top with honey/pollen, then
move gradually up during the late winter, very early spring. When they get
crowded in the top box, they will tend more toward swarming, despite having
room below. Also, they can starve in a long, cold winter, such as we just
had in the states, when they reach the top, can't move sideways due to cold
and can't reach additional stores. Rotating allows you to move the stores
from sides of bottom to middle (or over brood nest) at the top when you
rotate, without disturbing cluster at all (just move that box to the
bottom).

If you don't think the queen moves upward in spring, just put your honey
supers on without a queen excluder.

-Karen Oland