From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 03:07:52 -0500
Hello Bill & All,
Bill wrote:
> Bob, Here is an article by DrR on its use.
>> http://www.beekeeping.com/articles/mineral_oil_2.htm
> If you search the archives you will find quite a bit on it. The fogger
> is the latest application method. Sort of like the vinegar fogger but a
> bit more elaborate since you are spraying food grade mineral oil.
I should have searched the archives before my post and I would have
remembered the FGMO discussion. I didn't enter the FGMO discussion at the
time.
> There were tests done, other than by Dr. R (its inventor), which were
> not as successful as his results which were excellent no matter what the
> method of application. The results in the link are similar to his
> results using other methods. However, when those methods were tested
> independently, FGMO did not work. I read one independent test using a
> fogger and it showed somne varroa control, but not as good as many other
> methods. The scientist said it needed more work to be effective.
Two facts stand out at Dr. R's site. Dr.R had hives which had survived four
years with no other treatment than FGMO with the Tobacco testing done. Dr.
R's controls all died. One thing about varroa testing the controls always
die within two years . Fact two is that Dr.R had been fogging with Tobacco
smoke every two weeks since 1998 to do a sticky board test. We have known
for years Tobacco knocks down varroa and is a excellent IPM method. Dr. R
knows also as uses the method for his tests. It would be interesting to see
if colonies would be alive after four years with only the FGMO. I suspect we
will be hearing from Dr. R when he reads this post.
The scientific reason why the FGMO works is not clear to me from reading
from the archives. Are the varroa DEAD or only knocked off the bee?
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. Dr. R has discontinued the fogger and is now using the cord soaked in
FGMO. In my opinion from only reading I wonder what kind of results might be
had with open mesh floors and the FGMO fogger. If  I am reading Dr.R's work
correctly he did his tests with solid bottom boards.