From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 17:21:10 -0400
Hi All.

Now the summer is (hopefully) upon us at last, this seems an opportune
moment to ask whether anyone has actually seen a dragonfly catch or kill a
bee. I have been able to find references to only two British species, Anax
imperator and Aeschna cyanea, taking bees. Both are large and powerful
flyers, solitary and territorial away from water, and thus unlikely to pose
a significant threat. Their main diet consists of flies, including large
numbers of mosquitoes.

Large assemblies of dragonflies have been noted in some species, and
obviously numbers will gather by the wateside at times. As far as I can
discover, however, their reputation as bee-eaters is probably unjustified.
If anyone has seen otherwise, it would be good to hear from them to settle
the matter.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley