From:
Simon Corley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:41:35 -0800
Mark Seeley wrote:

>Yes. . . Very insightful post! And yes, there will be several distractors,
>nevertheless, here are some other great Szell recordings: ...
>
>Any additions?  Subtractions?

Easy, alas, too easy!

Dvorak: Slavonic Dances
Beethoven: Symphony 7 (he's one of the rare conductors who dares to play
the allegretto at its real pace, i.e. not andante, and it works
perfectly)
Kodaly: Hary Janos
Prokofiev: Lt. Kije

Mark mentioned Fleisher. I also remember these recordings:
Franck: Symphonic Variations
Rachmaninov: Paganini Variations

He also mentioned Casadesus. Here are some more recordings I
particularly appreciate:
Mozart: Concertos 21 & 26
Weber: Konzertstuck

I'll have to stop somewhere, so I'd like to end with a lovely choice of
lieder by Richard Strauss (with Elizabeth Schwarzkopf, but without the
Cleveland Orchestra).

Simon Corley <[log in to unmask]>