From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:24:12 -0800
Krishan P Oberoi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Why can't a newcomer go straight to Britten, Copland or Philip Glass
>without first going through Mozart and Bach?

Well, I will admit to there being a *few* exceptions...  alternative
doors into our magical world, if you will;-)...  at least 2 of those you
mentioned, Copland and Glass, are examples.  Copland's "doors" include some
of his old-western-spiced pieces, and even more notably, his Fanfare which
is so often used in big movies.

Philip Glass I personally like, so I may be a bit biased, but he does also
have significant ties to the movie industry.  Some of his soundtracks I can
imagine drawing people in...  In fact, I'm just about to watch "Kundun"
tonight for the first time.

Albie