From:
Mark Landson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:40:57 -0600

Steve said:

>I don't think that people see the issue as being quality vs.  non-quality,
>there seems to be something else at work.

My observation is that people care about things that directly affect them.
If you live in the city, like most people in Europe, you care about parks.
If you live in the suburbs in the US, you don't as much.  People care about
quality in the things they buy and can perceive.  They want a quality car
that doesn't break down.  They want a quality enjoyable dinner atmosphere
in a restaurant.  What they need to see is WHY the quality of the arts in
general is something that would enrich their lives.  This is something that
is not articulated well at all in advertising for the higher arts.  Now
that CM is being so heavily saturated with sexy violinists relying on
image to sell them (not that they are not talented as well), can we ask
ourselves, is the image of Hillary Hahn really going to be pulling people's
entertainment dollars away from Britney Spears? What is the message that
Hillary Hahn has that Britney doesn't? Why should we listen to Hillary? And
please don't tell me quality.  Quality of what? Youth? figure? sex appeal?

CM and the arts need a reason to exist.  No one has found it.  The Mozart
effect? Is that really the reason we listen to CM? To produce better
engineers? Anyone have an idea?

Mark
http://www.LandsonMusic.com