From:
Gene Halaburt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:05:50 -0600
Peter Harzem wrote:

>Some 35 (+/-?) years ago I was fortunate enough to hear Reginald Goodall
>conduct the Meistersinger, and the Ring at the English National Opera
>in London.  At each performance (possibly all but one) he/they received
>standing ovation, and justly so--not a common display by English opera
>audiences.

The habit of giving every performance and performer, no matter how
mediocre, a "standing ovation," goes back some time.  Berlioz, writing
in 1835, recalled attending in Rome a really poor opera performance, after
which the audience gave the mandatory standing ovation, and called for (the
composer not being present) the librettist, the conductor, the prima donna,
the tenor, the scenery designer and the stage manager.  Seeing there was
room on the stage for one more, Berlioz began calling for the hairdresser,
the call being taken up by several others in the audience.

Gene H.