From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:36:24 +0000
Mitch Friedfeld responds to me:

>>As we know from previous postings on Beethoven's symphonies, everyone
>>loves the 9th for its trailblazing qualities and dynamite last movement.
>
>Don is often so witty that I can't tell when he's kidding.

Sometimes I can't either.

>I'll assume for the moment that he's being serious with that last
>sentence.

Although totally serious concerning my high opinion of every movement of
Beethoven's 9th symphony, I was kidding about 'everyone' loving the work.
From past postings on the subject, we have plenty of list members who are
not taken with the music.

>My favorite part of B9 is the first two movements.  The intro is
>shattering, and the start of the Scherzo....now *there's* dynamite.

I feel that each movement except for the third is dynamite, and the third
is one gorgeous and heroic piece of music.

Don Satz