From:
Glenn Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:00:43 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I seem to be taking a lot of stick for what I wrote.
>
>Let me point out that, as far as I remember, the original posting was about
>starting a classical collection and the first response contained *nothing*
>but 20th century music.  This, IMHO, is inappropriate.  (as would be
>suggesting nothing but Baroque music for example)

I believe there has been some misunderstanding of the original posting
about the list she wanted advice on.  She never said "I am going to ignore
all the easily accessible works popular today and find at any music store.
Having read the book before, I know that it recommend selections starting
out like suggested on the list responses.

She said there were 4 or 5 list, the LAST one she was ZEROING in on.  I
read that to mean that she understood the general progressive suggestions
of getting into classical music but she wanted THE LIST advice of EXPERTS
to help her navigate through the last list which may have been more
difficult for her to get a handle on.

The book has suggestions all through the book on music to listen to so
I cannot see how she would miss the point that many of you suggested of
starting out with works that can support build a foundation to then go on
to explore more challenging music.

My humble opinion, of course.

Yes, I am a dummy....having read the classical music for dummies

Glenn Miller