From:
Robert Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 19:20:19 -0400
Last March was my first introduction to the music of Gerald Finzi.  Our
orchestra performed his Concerto for Clarinet and Strings with Richard
Stoltzman as soloist.  A wonderful piece that for me evoked a lush
landscape.  Finzi's work reminded me a little of RVW and Charles Ives,
however, Finzi has a voice of his own.

The following was written by our Program Annotator Steven Ledbetter:

   "Finzi conducted the premiere of the Clarinet Concerto at the Three
   Choirs Festival in Hereford on September 9, 1949, with the London
   Symphony Orchestra and Frederick Thomas as the soloist.  Like much
   of Finzi's music, it evokes the transitory nature of life--and
   especially so in that the solo instrument had already been used for
   notably valedictory works by Mozart and Brahms.  Subtle understatement
   of his work, the mingling of poignant sadness, and a rapt appreciation
   of beauty infuse this work from the beginning to end."

Many audience members familiar with Finzi informed me that his choral works
are magnificent.

Any suggestions or recommendations for recordings of his Choral pieces?

Bob Summers