Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:03:12 -0700
From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
A lot of debate lately on the existence or not of a recieved canon...  I'm
not particularly much for an RC myself, as I've kinda discarded laaaaaarge
chunks of the RC/standard repertoire to get to the almost obsessively small
cycle of works that I listen to (Brahms-Mahler-Bruckner symphonies/plus
random pickings from the output of Ravel, Poulenc, and Britten/and *not too
much else* these days).  Rarely, now and then, I may pop a recording of
some other classical music into my CD player...  but it has been rare...
and particularly recently since I started pumping out the alt-rock!

What I'm wondering about, though, for Peggy's sake, is, if it weren't for
the RC/standard rep (which, y'all must admit, is what CM radio stations
almost exclusively play), where could she possibly start?

I kinda think we've all agreed that the mish-mash 20th century list in
Classical for Dummies is not appropriate (and even if it were, it does not
even begin to address specific recording choices).  I'm assuming nobody
on this list is recommending simply going to the record store and randomly
buying willy-nilly from the classical section.  I suppose the library is
a possibility, but still the sheer volume and variety, presented all at
once, would be daunting.  Sure part of the fun of CM is that it can be
challenging...  but does finding what you really like have to be such
a grind?

Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>