From:
Jorn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:54:48 +0200

 My hives is build of full Langstroth supers, both for brood chambers and
for honey. It is ten frames Langstroth size. I have a mesh board on all year
open to the ground. No hard board. My opening is full  on the short side,
(cold build) it is 8mm high and I sometimes use a 10mm * 10mm foam rubber to
limit the entrance with or to close total up with when I am moving the bees.
The hive is on top covered with a clear plastic sheet in summer. this sheet
is in winter cut   with slices so that damp can go through. If I cut slices
in the summer they will be closed by propolis. This makes it obvious to me
that the bees don't want this airflow in summer. They have plenty of
circulation by the open mesh board. and the plastic sheet delays the bees in
just going in the air so that I can slip some smoke gently into the family,
by gently lifting the sheet of and follow up with smoke. It is always wise
to limit the entrance if the family is week so as a nuck or a little swarm,
and also when the last honey is removed, because it will limit robbery. With
an open mesh board you can even close the hive total up without catastrophic
result.

when the family is strong then just give them full opening.

Best regards
Jorn Johanesson

Multilingual software for beekeeping since 1997

hive note- queen breeding and handheld computer beekeeping software
Updated 11-07-2001 Added grouping  and colouring of hives + a lot more.
all you need and a little more. being a little beekeeper or a big queen
breeder
free of charge up to 10 hives.
Language added : Dutch, Pourtuguise, French with Ducth and Frensh help

home page = HTTP://apimo.dk
e-mail [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>