From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:31:00 -0300
Jeremey Mc Millan:

>I heard that being open to different genres helps
>out if you are a piano major.  Is that true?

Sincerely I don't think so.  Being open to different genres may help your
own enjoyment of music.  It may also help your inventive if you want to be
a composer.  However, you will be a piano major if you have discipline and
talent enough for it, no matter how open or not can be your musical taste.
If you are a keyboard genius and take now the decision of not hearing and
playing anything but Bach for the rest of your life, they will say that you
are a talented maniac.  Perhaps they'll be right, but the point is that
many will hate you for this, and many others will love you for the same
reason.

Pablo Massa